This is a non-supervisory and non-administrative position. Work is performed in the field or in the fire station.
- The work involves performing firefighting and rescue techniques which are required in both life threatening and non-emergency situations as required when requested by the public. Included in the work is the application of judgment based on training required for the position of firefighter and experience gained through fire and rescue operations.
- Work is performed under the general direction of a captain or lieutenant and under the overall supervision of the Chief`s Staff. In the absence of an officer the senior firefighter will be in command until relieved by an officer.
Minimum Requirements for Firefighters
- Have a seven-minute response time from home to fire station
- 18 years of age or older
- Minnesota Driver`s license (Class D or better)
- No physical disabilities which would prevent performing fire and rescue procedures
- Successfully pass a department agility test
- Successfully pass a department physical exam
- Maintain minimum training and call response requirements stipulated by fire department policy
Desirable Skills for Incoming Firefighters
- Knowledge of relevant fire department policies, city ordinances, and state statutes governing fire departments
- Knowledge in principles of firefighting, rescue, and first aid
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of rescue and fire tools and equipment
- Skill in the use of all equipment for fire, rescue, and medical operations.
- Ability to quickly coordinate operations on a fire or rescue scene with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances
- Maintain a high image in appearance and manners
Desirable Experience & Training
- Basic training in the emergency medical field
- Basic understanding of firefighting principles
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Able to respond to fire and rescue calls when in the area